Sunday, June 17, 2012

Contour drawing of a chair

I love drawing chairs. They are hard to draw. Lots of funny angles and fancy details. Then, of course, there is the matter of making the legs look like they are all sitting on the same floor. Here's today's drawing of my old bentwood chair. It came from the YWCA in Pocatello, Idaho. My mom was the executive director and bought it when they did some redecorating. She knew I loved it, and 40 years later I still do.

I have drawn this chair many times and I never get it right, but I think it is better each time. This time, at least, it seems to be sitting firmly on the floor. Don't look too closely at the seat. I started with a simple outline, then added some additional lines to indicate shading.

Then I tried the trick of drawing the negative space, lightly drawing, with pencil, an imaginary border around the negative space. I thought it might really emphasize the positive/negative aspects if I filled those negative spaces with a texture.. Those lines were very meditative and are purposely uneven and a bit wavery.


2 comments:

  1. I love it!! I always admire negative space drawings, but seem to forget that option when I set pen or pencil to paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very nice I'll draw this for my SBA

    ReplyDelete